shopify
analytics tool
Monday, July 24, 2017

20 Things That Are Wrong with Short Track Racing

Big West Racing Home Page Forums Race Chatter 20 Things That Are Wrong with Short Track Racing

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Vernw123 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

National98
    Participant

By: Pete MacDonald

These are just my opinion. Things that have been bothering me for a while, just never wrote them down until now.

$5,000 4-Cylinder Cars, it’s supposed to be an entry level/cost affordable class.
    Outrageous admission for WEEKLY shows. I get race tracks need to make money to survive, but to a point you’re almost making it unaffordable for families.
    Non “racing” people making too many big “racing” decisions. (Rules, Purses, Etc.)
    Too many officials playing favorites.
    Tech inspectors building motors, selling parts or even racing against competitors.
    Too many people just opening gates and not getting out to sell their product.
    Too many promoters relying on the back gate.
    Opening of Crate motors. That kind of defeats the purpose, doesn’t it?
    Too many classes. It’s disturbing how many race tracks have 4 different classes of street stocks out there.
    Not enough thanking of the people/teams that bust their asses to put the show on for the fans. That goes a lot further than you think.
    Paying by check. And people wonder why racers don’t stick around after the races any more.
    RACERS. Enough with the prima donna attitudes. You never know when a fan could want to help you out and hand you a couple hundred dollars at the end of the night. Try to be as nice to them as you can be.
    Support divisions are people too. They pay the same entry fee at the back gate weekly and shouldn’t be treated like a second class citizen.
    Race tracks just flat out not caring about the future or the past of the sport.
    Not enough tech. Period. It seems like most tech inspectors just want to collect a pay check at the end of the night.
    Trying to put a strangle hold on the cost of racing. Racers are always going to find a way to spend money. It’s been that way forever.
    When you win a feature, act like you’re enjoying it. I’ve seen way too many Victory Lane celebrations that look like funeral processions.
    Way too much hurry up and wait. Nothing like a constant rush only to sit in the staging area for a half hour waiting to go out.
    Big races going head-to-head, in the end, only hurt everybody. The fans, the drivers, the teams, the media. Everybody.
    The Internet. It can be such a double edged sword. It’s an excellent tool that you can use to your advantage if done right. But it can also be your worst enemy come Sunday or Monday morning.
    These are just some ideas I had off of the top of my head. I know I can go a lot further into depth and keep adding if I need to.

What do you think is wrong with short track racing today? Let us know on the RacersGuide.com Discussion Forums. I can be e-mailed at racersguide@gmail.com or found on Twitter @PMacDonald51. Thanks for reading!

Webby
    Webby
    Keymaster

I agree with some of the article but disagree with most of it.

My thoughts on a few of his items….

Outrageous admission for WEEKLY shows. I get race tracks need to make money to survive, but to a point you’re almost making it unaffordable for families.

It seems to me racing is far cheaper entertainment in comparison to other sports. A Saturday night race ticket is a mere fraction of what it costs to go to a pro Football, Baseball, Hockey, or basketball game.

I think people think that race track owners are dragging buckets of cash to the bank on Monday morning. Nothing could be further from the truth. It’s a brutal business to be in. The operating costs are insane and the very fact that any small local tracks still survive is a miracle.

Non “racing” people making too many big “racing” decisions. (Rules, Purses, Etc.)

That criticism drives me nuts! (I am assuming that “non-racing people” is meant to mean people who have never raced.) Two points….

1. Just because you have raced a car doesn’t mean you will make better or worse decisions as a track promoter that hasn’t raced. In fact, folks who have raced often times are more biased than “non racing” folks
    2. If “racing folks” want to build and run a race track, more power to them! Nothing is stopping anyone from operating a track. It just so happens that many “non racing folks” are in a position to own and operate race tracks. And heck… where would we be without them?

It’s easy to come up with a “bitch-list” but it’s a lot harder to come up with solutions for these complaints. Case in point…

Okay, what’s your solution? How do you get qualified people that have no bias?? It’s very difficult in the real world. Furthermore… almost every decision a race official makes is going to look unfair from the side that gets the unfavorable ruling. There is no winning. There is always someone upset and feels they were unfairly judged. That’s why you have to do your best, make the decisions you feel are the most accurate and let the chips fall where they may.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 4 weeks ago by Webby Webby.
    4+

Users who have liked this topic:

I25SpeedwayRep
    I25SpeedwayRep
    Participant

$5,000 4-Cylinder Cars, it’s supposed to be an entry level/cost affordable class.

If someones (track) has an entry class of 4cly. @ $5K thats a problem, however, rules and class control eliminates that. We’re at appox. $1500-2K on a good car. Not bad considering a cage is about half that cost.

Most surfaces including ours, would be in alignment with most tracks, $10 a head for adults, a 3D movie is avg. $17-$18 each for an hour and a half. We’re giving entertainment for 6+ hrs. And the concessions don’t even compare.

Non racing people know their stuff, you don’t have to be a racer to market a product, or sale your product. Actually non racers are better at these positions as well as other postions

This typically would be an unhappy racer or crewman making this assumption who just got handed a black flag or fined. Its usually a “team” decision not just one or two officials making calls. Officials are human a sometimes make a bad call.

Paying by check. And people wonder why racers don’t stick around after the races any more.

Its just good business sense to help keep good records a race track is still a business. After all we except racers checks for admission.

I could rebuttal everyone of those comments, boring, in retrospect it takes the combination of alot of items, some in which you’ve try to address, cost, rules, personal, management, employees, fans, drivers, sponsors and even the community as a whole. Lets not forget the local economy in some areas. Its also best to address short track racing faults with positive solutions then to just point out its downfalls in a list of complaints.-Mike

1+

Vernw123
    Participant

Written by Vernon Williams

When I first read the article 20 things wrong with Short Track Racing I had to say that I have seen each and every one of those things happen and how you look at them depends of course which side of the fence you are standing on. I don’t pretend to know all the cost with running a race track but it gets disturbing when you are running the premiere series lets say a Late Model series and your checks are not very big then they put on a demolition derby or a figure 8 race and manage to pay them $2,000 to win with a $10,000 total purse. These big come ons may be good to get the people in the stands but they are not good for keeping the racers happy and lets face it many tracks have found over the last few years that the racers are not showing up. There are a lot of ways that the tracks could keep their racers without spending a dime. First of all don’t change the rules, that cost the racers money when you change the rules. Learn their names and say thanks for coming, can we help you with anything, just be nice, some tracks have a problem with being nice. How about last years series champions get the preferred pit spaces for the next year, maybe one free practice night. It takes so little to show your appreciation and it cost nothing.

The only other item I will comment on is good and fair tech. I have been on a race team for over 15 years and raced at over 10 different tracks. Some techs are OK, some are lacking, crate engines are a joke for being legal, crate engines are just the lazy mans way of saying they are being fair. The worse thing about tech is the fairness of it all. If you have a racer that brings out three or four cars to race that person is likely to get away with a lot of rule bending or breaking. The reason is the tracks can’t afford to lose a guy that brings all those cars out to race when car counts are low as they have been in past year. If you want racers to feel discontent just show them that the tech. is not fair for everyone.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Follow BWR

1,509FansLike
5,838FollowersFollow