BST Promotions
Ultra Cool Brake Fans Racing Engines Robertson Racing Speed Shop Race Car Realtor Full Service Transmission Shop Advertise on Big West Racing
Joe Starr Photos Victory Performance Inc Advertise on Big West Racing “Colorado Phillips County Raceway Rat rods for sale “Race

Go Back   Auto Racing Forum | Big West Racing Forum > The Big West Racing Community Forums > Racing Memories

Racing Memories The good ol' days. What do you remember about Lakeside, Englewood or other old Speedways, clubs, cars or drivers.

Old 08-24-2005, 12:35 PM   #61
ShhhhhhhhRacer
Hall of Fame Member (double platinum level)

ShhhhhhhhRacer is just really niceShhhhhhhhRacer is just really niceShhhhhhhhRacer is just really niceShhhhhhhhRacer is just really niceShhhhhhhhRacer is just really niceShhhhhhhhRacer is just really niceShhhhhhhhRacer is just really niceShhhhhhhhRacer is just really niceShhhhhhhhRacer is just really niceShhhhhhhhRacer is just really niceShhhhhhhhRacer is just really nice
Anyone Remember
Don Dozel(Mile High Jeep Repair)
Roger Webb(the can you loan me a $ man)
Bob Neeley(my uncle)
And Lets Not Forget
Ronnie Lee Who Is Still
Pushing That Little Pedal On The Right
And Most Of All My DAD
Jack(Red)Thompson,he was alway's with
Leo Tucker,Bob Neeley,Roger Webb,Harold Evans,
& Sam Sauer
R.I.P. Daddy
ShhhhhhhhRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2005, 12:36 PM   #62
ShhhhhhhhRacer

ShhhhhhhhRacer is just really niceShhhhhhhhRacer is just really niceShhhhhhhhRacer is just really niceShhhhhhhhRacer is just really niceShhhhhhhhRacer is just really niceShhhhhhhhRacer is just really niceShhhhhhhhRacer is just really niceShhhhhhhhRacer is just really niceShhhhhhhhRacer is just really niceShhhhhhhhRacer is just really niceShhhhhhhhRacer is just really nice
And What About
Dale Huff
Man What A Driver.........
ShhhhhhhhRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:16 PM   #63
Rainbow Man
Bar Stool Racing Veteran

Rainbow Man is on a distinguished roadRainbow Man is on a distinguished road
Joe I will be there made Flight reservations will be there for last race on 1st Oct and the 2nd for picnic. Look out South Texas Rainbow Man will be there then you all will see why I'm called that by the bright colors and Bright personality hope to talk to alot of you old Friends and hope to make new ones too. See ya all there

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
# 71 Mod Coupe Owner&: Driver "" "In Memory of The Colorado Legend Fritz Wilson R.I.P.
Rainbow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:23 PM   #64
Cherry Emerson
Bar Stool Racing Veteran

Cherry Emerson is an unknown quantity at this point
I noticed you said RIP Wayne Stallsworth, did he pass? I was going to say I missed seeing him because he was so competitive at Englewood and other tracks and was always tough competion for Bart Manley (my ex) and my four kids, who were very young then, thought his first name was "Boo" because everyone always yelled "Boo Stallsworth" when in fact his nickname in the pits was "chrome shoes" because they would say he love chrome so much that if they made chrome shoes he would wear them.

I miss Sammy Sauer too and Eddie Jackson (both gone too soon) and our friend from the sprint cars, Gordon Herring (died in a wreck in Minnesota) and Jim Malloy (died at Indy). I remember talking to him just before he left, Bart and I and Jim had lunch down by Harry Conklin's store on Santa Fe, he was so excited about that opportunity.

Cherry Emerson - Race Fan
Cherry Emerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:28 PM   #65
Cherry Emerson
Bar Stool Racing Veteran

Cherry Emerson is an unknown quantity at this point
I miss Ray Beck and Mary Beck (lady and darn hard to pass in races) and I wonder what ever happened to Peggy Plue (sic?) and Doug, I always enjoyed sitting at Lakeside with Gloria Wilson (Don's wife) There was also a female racer named "Sara Lee" and she and her husband raced at Lakeside. Frankly I miss Lakeside, and I miss Junior Denning (Frank Jr.s dad) who had a collection of Donald Duck things and wore his hair in a duck tail in the late 1960's NOW THAT TOOK COURAGE!!! He also died too soon, in his 30s I think, and working on his race car with the Donald Duck on the side.

Cherry Emerson - Race Fan
Cherry Emerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 06:29 PM   #66
frosty
Bar Stool Racing Legend

frosty is on a distinguished roadfrosty is on a distinguished roadfrosty is on a distinguished roadfrosty is on a distinguished road
Cherry, Lakeside still exists.The CARC will run at CNS on 1 Oct in conjunction with the High Plains Mods. Sara Lee's husband still races with that group. Also the #57 CARC mod of Greg McLaughlin has a lot of Frank Denning's work in it (no Donald Duck though). Come out on see us. Expect 20 modifieds .
frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 06:52 PM   #67
Rainbow Man
Bar Stool Racing Veteran

Rainbow Man is on a distinguished roadRainbow Man is on a distinguished road
that's true the CARC modifieds are growing in numbers and interest in the old Lakeside racin group is also high . we all grew up with Lakeside and the CARC and want it to continue . Join us for the race and the picnic on the 2nd Oct.

# 71 Mod Coupe Owner&: Driver "" "In Memory of The Colorado Legend Fritz Wilson R.I.P.
Rainbow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:40 PM   #68
themingway
Bar Stool Racing Rookie

themingway is an unknown quantity at this point
From BCS...

Butch Bailey
Darrell Stewart
Billy Ager
Kenny Clark

those were the days!

TJ

Last edited by themingway; 09-21-2005 at 09:05 AM.
themingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 05:21 AM   #69
HOTRODDAVE

HOTRODDAVE is a jewel in the roughHOTRODDAVE is a jewel in the roughHOTRODDAVE is a jewel in the roughHOTRODDAVE is a jewel in the roughHOTRODDAVE is a jewel in the roughHOTRODDAVE is a jewel in the roughHOTRODDAVE is a jewel in the roughHOTRODDAVE is a jewel in the roughHOTRODDAVE is a jewel in the roughHOTRODDAVE is a jewel in the roughHOTRODDAVE is a jewel in the rough
For great memories
http://www.coloradoracingmemories.com/index.htm

In memory of Jim Coffey, James Matlock, Junior Reeder, Harvey Webb Sr, Lucky Beickman, Dale Deter, Dick Gastineau, Cliff Hudson, RIP my fellow racers, RIP Mom
"Racing is life. Everything else is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
HOTRODDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 07:32 AM   #70
Krazy Lady
Bar Stool Racing Sophomore

Krazy Lady is an unknown quantity at this point
I miss SUNDAY NIGHTS AT LAKESIDE and SATURDAY NIGHTS at ENGLEWOOD. Everyone that drove at these two tracks have left Memories for me....Elmer Sauer was the ride boss at the amusement park in '64 and that's when I met Sammy and his 3 little kids. Until that time Sunday night met 600 boxes of popcorn (10 cents a box) over 1,000 pounds of hot dogs (15 cents a dog) and lots of peanuts, but none to the Pit concession stand (no peanuts in the pits) Bottles of pop and beer stocked and iced down by the Ice Man. Doug Longo worked the games when he was 16 and had an extremely outgoing personality and he would always convince me that he need to work the Pit's concession stand at 4 everyone Sunday night, little did I know he would move on to be a Late Model driver (and he has already died at 55 way too young). I miss Mr. Krasner and his love for racing, especially the midgets. Midgets on Saturday night were also very Special, I remember walking the stands and kicking the trash under so Rhoda would get them a special rate when they were building the midgets back at Lakeside. Dave and Mitch would bench race, or what ever guys do and I would kick bottles. It amazing most of the bottles never broke when they hit the dirt....This would have been in the late 60s. Mrs. Krasner loved to go to the midget mains in the 40s. Johnny Toland was her driver because she liked the way he sat in that midget. Both Mr. and Mrs. Krasner would watch the main event on Sundays until Mr. Krasner died in '65. That little red golf cart would head for the track for the main, and Mr. Krasner had a lot of respect for all the drivers. Sammy will always be #1 because he was the one that got me interested in racing and later the track manager. I'll never forget the first 19 years of the Belleville Nationals when Mitch ran the show, I met Jeff Gordon on his 19th birthday when he won the Nationals in the #4 Pepsi midget and he signed Dave's lamp shade. Willy Hardman was a special "Friend" and I still have contact with his wife Shirley and we enjoy lunches or breakfast at the Masonic Temple in Golden... Watching Butch Hardman run in the Hill Climbs were always fun, especially Teller County as it was in the fall after our racing season and it was so beautiful up there. Butch took second at the Pikes Peak Hill Climb this year and his son Brian took third... But when the season ended Butch is the Champ and Brian came in second as a result of the last race near Grand Junction. Then there's the Land family. When ever I had to go to the post office when I worked in Englewood, I drived down the alley behind Bob's house to see if he was working on a race care for some news on racing..I remember Gary when he was just walking and now he is champ of CARC. Then there are the HARR kids selling programs at the north gate when they were in elementary school, and Lois Stockwell (Is she still living?) Oh, the memories, guess I had better go to the reunion today.....Let's all remember Bonnie Pastor in our thoughts and prayers as she battles her fight with cancer) Racers are a strong family and we all care for each other.....Burton Spickler was an important racer in Dave's live when he was in Elementry school and we were so glad to find him in Bakersfield California in the 70s and still have a large picture of Burton in his #3 midget on our wall, and his trophy from Lakeside Speedway Oct 9th 1938 in the Cullen-Thompson Special...and the Cromwell helmet of Don Burn that sits in Buton's trophy......Guess I had better stop my walk down memory lane and polish this trophy so I can take it to the reunion.......Thanks for asking, yes there are lots of memories of racing in Colorado and I didn't get interested until '64 and as a result I found my sole mate at the track and my boys turned the grandstand lights on and off for many years after Lou Clark's grandsons out grew the sound booth and went on to race, remember the LoSassos, in mini stocks and then midgets and sprints....and Papa's where the racers always ate especially on Friday nights. We always had to sit in the booth where the races pictures were, ....Well, I'm going to polich the trouphy and continue on with my memories. If you don't have Bill Hill's book on midgets, you need one as it's Great!!!!! 364 pages of midget racing in Colorado......(Gene Pastor is still selling them) Ade Butler, Foster Campbell, Jim LaManna, Senior and Junior, Ronnie Lee, Randy Roberts, Mike Gregg, Stan Fox, Robby Flock, Bill Mayhew, (we had heard he was killed at Gilmore and were shocked to find the real Bill Mayhew alive and well at the Bellevilla and kept contact with him until he died living in Henderson Nevada.
Krazy Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 02:21 PM   #71
bbh970003
Bar Stool Racing Veteran

bbh970003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Remembering inactive drivers

Ones that come to my mind:

Butch Bailey - Hobby stock champion at BCS for many years, now crew chief for Bruce Yackey
Ron Barkel - Hobby stock champion at BCS
Karry Balcaen - BCS
Ray Daniels-Late Model #80 CNS-great guy
Bobby Fix - Late Model #21 CNS
Joe James and Rick Carelli when they used to race late models against each other at Lakeside and Carelli raced those modifieds
Bob Yackey - injured in a GAM at CNS, still in wheelchair, was a winner
George Butland - was the best track owner CNS ever had from the racers standpoint
bbh970003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:37 AM   #72
CNS121
Bar Stool Racing Veteran

CNS121 will become famous soon enoughCNS121 will become famous soon enoughCNS121 will become famous soon enoughCNS121 will become famous soon enoughCNS121 will become famous soon enoughCNS121 will become famous soon enoughCNS121 will become famous soon enough
Jim Malloy

The late Jim Malloy, especially in Tom Barton's, red 'A' body #1 modified . . . Powered by a flathead V-8.

It has been said that late at night if you are over by the old speedway, you can hear the ghosts, the bark of the "Flathead," the zing of the "Stovebolt 6," the deep throated rumble of the "Offy," the snarl of the "V8-60," and faintly hear the announcer say, “Ladies and gentlemen, here is the line up for the main,” the place would erupt with the echoing of the cheers and boo’s and you remember who.
CNS121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:50 AM   #73
CNS121
Bar Stool Racing Veteran

CNS121 will become famous soon enoughCNS121 will become famous soon enoughCNS121 will become famous soon enoughCNS121 will become famous soon enoughCNS121 will become famous soon enoughCNS121 will become famous soon enoughCNS121 will become famous soon enough
Question 180x

Anyone . . . anybody . . . remember Junior or maybe it's Garland Boyes that raced at Englewood Speedway, around 1956-1959 . . . His car was #180x, a white '36 Ford 5W flathead V-8, with red #'s and flames . . .

I think it is going to be like trying to find a still pix of Tommy Barton's red #1 'A' that Jim Malloy drove

It has been said that late at night if you are over by the old speedway, you can hear the ghosts, the bark of the "Flathead," the zing of the "Stovebolt 6," the deep throated rumble of the "Offy," the snarl of the "V8-60," and faintly hear the announcer say, “Ladies and gentlemen, here is the line up for the main,” the place would erupt with the echoing of the cheers and boo’s and you remember who.
CNS121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:56 PM   #74
Stockcar19
PIT-PASS Membership

Stockcar19 is a jewel in the roughStockcar19 is a jewel in the roughStockcar19 is a jewel in the roughStockcar19 is a jewel in the roughStockcar19 is a jewel in the roughStockcar19 is a jewel in the roughStockcar19 is a jewel in the roughStockcar19 is a jewel in the roughStockcar19 is a jewel in the roughStockcar19 is a jewel in the roughStockcar19 is a jewel in the rough
Del Trantham

Jason (Crash)
Del has raced at CNS on and off. He was out for about 5 years and then came back. We raced in 2004 but had engine problems and only 2 times in 2005. Del retired in 2005 when he said he couldn't feel the wall any more. We plan on having Del Jr. drive the car in 2006 if we can come up with the money. It is nice to know that somebody remember us. Thank you for the trip down memory lane, we set here and talked about those times for a long time. Have great New Year.

Fran (Stockcar19)
Del's wife
Stockcar19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:34 AM   #75
Krazy Lady
Bar Stool Racing Sophomore

Krazy Lady is an unknown quantity at this point
Sammy Sauer will always be number One as he made racing fun for me in '64. Until then the race track me work, by 4 we had to have the pit concession stand open (Doug Longo worked the games and always convinced me he needed to work the Pits stand, little did we know where that would lead him (RIP Doug we miss you). Then there was the thousand pounds of hot dogs, buns, 600 boxes of popcorn and 300 bags of peanuts, (none to the Pits). The bottles of coke and pepsi had to be iced down so the water would be good and cold when we opened, As the fans increased so did the demands for food, Sundays at Lakeside were Great and I would love to relive those days. The best thing about Lakeside Speedway was meeting my husband Dave....As far as drivers, the midgets will always be my first choice, Keith Rauch, Randy Roberts, Dave Strickland, Mike Gregg, Willie Hardman, Tommy Eatwell, Andy Eadwell and all the others that raced midgets at Lakeside...We had great trips with Don Wilson and his family, Pat Petrie, Eddie Mailo, Ronnie Lee, Bob and Gary Land, Doug Longo, the LoSasso boys and Fritz Wilson....Bill Hill's book "Decades of Daring really brings back the wonderful memories of Lakeside and racing in Colorado.
Krazy Lady is offline   Reply With Quote