Ultra Cool Brake Fans Racing Engines Robertson Racing Speed Shop Race Car Realtor Full Service Transmission Shop Advertise on Big West Racing
Joe Starr Photos Victory Performance Inc Advertise on Big West Racing “Colorado Phillips County Raceway Rat rods for sale “Race

Go Back   Auto Racing Forum | Big West Racing Forum > The Big West Racing Community Forums > Racing Memories

Racing Memories The good ol' days. What do you remember about Lakeside, Englewood or other old Speedways, clubs, cars or drivers.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
webby
Worlds fastest admin

webby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Englewood Speedway Profile on ARM

Check out the awesome profile about Englewood Speedway that Jerry Lee McGuire and Rick Wasilko wrote on AutoRacingMemories.com.

Great stuff thanks guys!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

BWR ON FACEBOOK | BWR ON TWITTER | AUTO RACING MEMORIES

Last edited by webby; 04-10-2012 at 10:08 AM.
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
HOTRODDAVE
Hall of Fame Member (double platinum level)

HOTRODDAVE is a jewel in the roughHOTRODDAVE is a jewel in the roughHOTRODDAVE is a jewel in the roughHOTRODDAVE is a jewel in the roughHOTRODDAVE is a jewel in the roughHOTRODDAVE is a jewel in the roughHOTRODDAVE is a jewel in the roughHOTRODDAVE is a jewel in the roughHOTRODDAVE is a jewel in the roughHOTRODDAVE is a jewel in the roughHOTRODDAVE is a jewel in the rough
Great Job Guys,!!!!!!!

Now if we could get BWR member Jerry Lee to confirm his email, he could post stories like that on here, ( hope he reads this)

In memory of Jim Coffey, James Matlock, Junior Reeder, Harvey Webb Sr, Lucky Beickman, Dale Deter, Dick Gastineau, Cliff Hudson, RIP my fellow racers, RIP Mom
"Racing is life. Everything else is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

Last edited by HOTRODDAVE; 11-05-2008 at 02:22 PM.
HOTRODDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:03 AM   #3
Tanya Elder
Awaiting email confirmation

Tanya Elder is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile How can we forget Englewood Speedway?!!!!!!!!!!!

I grew up at Englewood Speedway, sold programs, my dad was vp of ARA, Jerry Elder, unfortunately he passed away over a year ago. My mom sold tickets..............Those were the best times of my life!............Jack Voorhis, Tom Darrow, Roger Avants, etc..................I still have many programs, jackets, etc........from that time.............Wish it wouldn't have closed.........I miss it all!..................nothing will ever compete with Englewood.............It was the best! Thanks for the memories.......
Tanya Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:15 AM   #4
Tanya Elder
Awaiting email confirmation

Tanya Elder is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Jerry McGuire

I can even furnish a great picture of Jerry McGuire back when he was selling progams at Englewood.............It is a fine picture!......Jerry, I haven't seen that online?......................We all should remember Candy, Marion, The Boyers, etc................what a wonderful part of Colorado History!..........
Tanya Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
Nostalgic Mike
Hall of Fame Member (gold level)

Nostalgic Mike will become famous soon enoughNostalgic Mike will become famous soon enoughNostalgic Mike will become famous soon enoughNostalgic Mike will become famous soon enoughNostalgic Mike will become famous soon enoughNostalgic Mike will become famous soon enoughNostalgic Mike will become famous soon enoughNostalgic Mike will become famous soon enough
I want to thank Jerry and Rick for including a couple of my photos in the story. They were very difficult pictures to take. Seeing the track half way dismantled and the place reeking of emptiness, it was tough taking the pics that I did.. I made sure to grab a few pieces of memorabilia that I could find. a chunk of the wall, some asphalt a sign or 2.... I actually went out and stood at where the "X" was and just stood there kind of making a slow spin and looking at it all and wishing this was just a nightmare.... I hope that all of you will take the time to have a look at the story on the Autoracingmemories web site as it is a very, very good story... Great job Jerry and Rick..the site is coming along great.. Hope this story will inspire others to give more input and make the site even grander.

Hope everyone enjoys a great off season. Congrats to all the champs and ROTY's
Nostalgic Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
Lisa Kitz

Lisa Kitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Tanya, I just read your post about still having some old programs from Elderwood speedway. I wonder in you have any with my Father mentioned in them. Im looking for any info or pictures anyone might have on my him. His name is Bill Oatman & he raced at Englewood in the 50,s up till I think about 1962. His car was always #19. I Have three of his trophys(all that remains of what was a big collection)with some Dates & info engraved on them that I could send you if it would help. Really would love to see his name mentioned or above all a picture. Can you help?
Lisa Kitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Nostalgic Mike
Hall of Fame Member (gold level)

Nostalgic Mike will become famous soon enoughNostalgic Mike will become famous soon enoughNostalgic Mike will become famous soon enoughNostalgic Mike will become famous soon enoughNostalgic Mike will become famous soon enoughNostalgic Mike will become famous soon enoughNostalgic Mike will become famous soon enoughNostalgic Mike will become famous soon enough
Tanya... May I suggest that when the CVOR show comes up again in August that you bring what you collected from Englewood all those years and display them at the show. I put together my collection and other memorabilia and set up a small gazebo to display what I have collected overt time... It really brings the folks around and lets them relive memories.
I make that suggestion to all others that have a lot of stuff from all the tracks. There are a great deal of photos and other memorabilia out there that could and should be displayed for the race fans, young and old to enjoy and talk about. The racing history of Colorado is out there, waiting to come out of the storage boxes, photo albums and back into the eyes of old fans and the younger fans as well. just like the photo album that a lady showe me last year during the show that had pictures of the old Brighton Speedway nd another track that we weren't too sure about. It is that type of history in pictures that possibly just sits out there, somwhere, collecting the perverbial dust. I hope to see more folks bring stuff out of hiding this year as well.
I am over near the Diner now at CNS so if anyone has any sort of memorabilia lying around please contact me there or on here and we can talk about it and see about getting it on display for all to see!!

Hope everyone enjoys a great off season. Congrats to all the champs and ROTY's
Nostalgic Mike is offline   Reply With Quote