GTI Golf Cars
Ultra Cool Brake Fans Racing Engines Robertson Racing Speed Shop Race Car Realtor Full Service Transmission Shop Golf Cart Rentals and Sales Advertise on Big West Racing
Joe Starr Photos Victory Performance Inc License Plate Spray “Colorado Phillips County Raceway Rat rods for sale “Race Advertise on Big West Racing

Go Back   Auto Racing Forum | Big West Racing Forum > Big West Racing News Center > Front Page News

Front Page News Big West Racing news and editorials. (Maximum attached image size is 240x240 pixels).

Old 05-07-2012, 04:10 AM   #91
hayabusa
Bar Stool Racing Veteran

hayabusa is on a distinguished roadhayabusa is on a distinguished roadhayabusa is on a distinguished roadhayabusa is on a distinguished roadhayabusa is on a distinguished road
As far as the #6 goes, I'm fairly certain that he "missed" his shift or kind of froze -up, just Part of the learning and growing process, it was his first time on the pole of a late model A-main @ CNS and yes it can even happen to veterans. Chris Eggleston missed a shift last year at the start of a race and he was the first to "man-up" I hope that young mister Ursetta is doing the same. That will go a long way towards setting things right with his fellow drivers.
hayabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #92
dynamitedave
Bar Stool Racing Journeyman

dynamitedave is on a distinguished roaddynamitedave is on a distinguished roaddynamitedave is on a distinguished roaddynamitedave is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dynamitedave
I think everyone needs to keep in mind that it is just as much the other drivers and their spotters fault as it is Dominic's! How many rows back did this wreck happen? Where did the 39 car start?? Not saying it his fault either but if the quick time wasn't starting 16th or so maybe we would have just been talking about a missed shift instead of cars upside down!!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
I just want to go FAST!!!!!!!!
dynamitedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #93
National98
Hall of Fame Member (platinum level)

National98 will become famous soon enoughNational98 will become famous soon enoughNational98 will become famous soon enoughNational98 will become famous soon enoughNational98 will become famous soon enoughNational98 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamitedave View Post
Not saying it his fault either but if the quick time wasn't starting 16th or so maybe we would have just been talking about a missed shift instead of cars upside down!!
Now come on Dave, Really? By putting fast cars in the middle or back it gives fans more excitement than someone just checking out on the field. This argument has been going on forever. I for one am one of those that believe fast cars should have the talent/patience to start middle to back of the pack.

Plus I am also a believer in a competitor’s license that actually ensures drivers are capable of handling their machines. But since no one wants to do something like that we will continue to be treated to major pile ups on the first lap or two.

Of course JUST MY OPINION
National98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #94
Cat-Dubby
Bar Stool Racing Sophomore

Cat-Dubby is an unknown quantity at this point
Its racing, he missed shift, it happens, he is sorry for wrecked cars,he has talked to most of the other drivers, there ok about it. Told ED Vecc that he would help him on his cars, What more should he do.Again hate to say this but its racing.
Cat-Dubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #95
webby
Worlds fastest admin

webby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by National98 View Post
Now come on Dave, Really? By putting fast cars in the middle or back it gives fans more excitement than someone just checking out on the field. This argument has been going on forever. I for one am one of those that believe fast cars should have the talent/patience to start middle to back of the pack.
Well said.

I read some folks saying on Facebook that if CNS wouldn't invert the cars none of this would happen. And while that may or may not be true, a move like that certainly wouldn't make the fans happy.

One of the most common complaints that the fans have made over the past few years is they absolutely HATE when the fastest cars are on the front row of any race (main or heat). The fans want to see passing. They want to see drivers earn their victory.

And lets be honest... it isn't as if inverting starts is a wacky concept, in fact it's probably the most common way to lineup races at just about every track in the entire country. And the reason is... fans are alike. Race fans from every corner of the nation want to see passing, therefore 95% of every short track in the nation imposes some type of inversion. On the east coast the sprint cars invert the entire field for the main event based on season winnings (i.e., the more money you have won, the further back you will start).

Therefore, if you stopped inverting cars you might make some drivers happy but you certainly wouldn't make your customers very happy.

And finally.... I don't understand why drivers would be opposed to inverted starts. Heck, passing cars is the most fun part of racing.

Last edited by webby; 05-07-2012 at 01:13 PM.
webby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #96
Leo-girl
Bar Stool Racing Sophomore

Leo-girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby View Post
Unofficial Super Stock main event finish: 46, 88, 13, 3, 90, 6x, 95, 75, 02, 77, 71s, 0, 14, 5, 22, 83, 99, 4, 61, 9, 76, 25, 39, 89
I'm pretty sure 61 finished in 6th...
Leo-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #97
webby
Worlds fastest admin

webby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo-girl View Post
I'm pretty sure 61 finished in 6th...
Yeah, that was the unofficial finish. The official finish is listed here.... http://www.bigwestracing.com/forums/...ad.php?t=31751

Old 05-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #98
terry
Hall of Fame Member (double platinum level)

terry is a jewel in the roughterry is a jewel in the roughterry is a jewel in the roughterry is a jewel in the roughterry is a jewel in the roughterry is a jewel in the roughterry is a jewel in the roughterry is a jewel in the roughterry is a jewel in the roughterry is a jewel in the roughterry is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Yahoo to terry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-Dubby View Post
Its racing, he missed shift, it happens, he is sorry for wrecked cars,he has talked to most of the other drivers, there ok about it. Told ED Vecc that he would help him on his cars, What more should he do.Again hate to say this but its racing.
That's pretty cool. Were the situation reversed I wonder if that gesture would be made.

I don't know, it's racing and this stuff happens. As a fan, I expect it on occasion.

That's all.

Terry

RIP Bill Stanford - Deputy Chief, Cheyenne Police Department 10/12/61 - 8/13/07

Cancer is so limited....

It cannot cripple Love, it cannot shatter Hope, it cannot corrode Faith, it cannot destroy Peace. It cannot kill Friendship, it cannot suppress Memories, it cannot silence Courage or invade the Soul. It cannot steal Eternal Life nor conquer the Spirit.
terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #99
Nostalgic Mike
Hall of Fame Member (gold level)

Nostalgic Mike will become famous soon enoughNostalgic Mike will become famous soon enoughNostalgic Mike will become famous soon enoughNostalgic Mike will become famous soon enoughNostalgic Mike will become famous soon enoughNostalgic Mike will become famous soon enoughNostalgic Mike will become famous soon enoughNostalgic Mike will become famous soon enough
OK, my thought on the inversions.. I am of the old school.. YESSSS this means I revert back to the days at lakside Speedway and Englewood.. Where the fastest cars always started at the rear of the field and EARNED their way to the front.. Yes, there were wrecks back then too, much like lasy saturday!!. The younger generation that are watching CNS today, don't have the luxury we older fans had watching the greats at Lakeside and Englewood. It was some of the best racing when the top dogs had to make their way through traffic to get to the front!.. Lakeside especially considering the track size and width. The premium was on patience and knowing when to pick your spots and times to make the moves to the front!!. I for one and very happy with the inversions that are being made. As far as i'm concerned, the dice roll should come up six every time!! Hell start the top five or six at the rear and give them points for cars passed as they work their way to the front!! The fastest in qualifying should have to earn their way to the front. It makes the victory that much more satisfying, knowing that you battled through it all, showing patience, perserverance, and skill.... When it gets to the point of one or 2 cars breaking away into another zipcode, I have always gone looking back in the field for a pack of cars and watch them slice and dice.
I can honestly say that I groaned like crazy at the start of each race when i saw the points leader or any of the other top 4 or5 cars starting on the pole or with in the front 2 rows!!.. It always ended up being a walk off win, unless the car suffered some sort of problem... Yeah I'm old school and I am happy to see the inversion working again as it should. No stroking (sandbaggng) during qualifying that I have seen as of yet. The races have been exciting with some incredible finishes in the dasshes and mains.. So much more fun to watch Yeah it is still a liitle bit "more of the same" at times, but by damn the top guys are having to earn their keep so far!!
Nuff said here.. once again JMO and subject to questions and ridicule(if that floats your boat).. Last week was not fun seeing the 2 Late Models upside down, regardless of who it is. I'm just glad everyone is OK. To the young Legend driver who for 2 consecutive weeks was involved in a hair raising crash. The most recent with him being flipped about... I have heard rumor that you are looking at getting out of it... Sit back take some time off, but DO NOT quit!!!!.. From what I've seen of you, you show lots of promise!!.. You have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time!!!.. Don't give up.. get the car fixed and get back in the game!!! (yes I know... it's easy for me to say) It's racing.. Things are going to happen and as long as you stick with it, the bad stuff wil eventually iron out and you will see great moments.. hang tough and hope to see you return the next time the Legends are running!!

Hope everyone enjoys a great off season. Congrats to all the champs and ROTY's
Nostalgic Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #100
HurricaneRacing
Bar Stool Racing Journeyman

HurricaneRacing is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-Dubby View Post
One hundred percent agree. Everyone needs to stop acting like Dom is to blame for all this. He missed a shift whether it be from a broke tranny or whatever reason, this happens to everyone once in a while even the best of the best miss a shift or spin the tires. How many times in Nascar Cup races do you see a driver get a bad restart and spin the tires every weekend!!! I give Dom a lot of credit for having the guts to apologize to everyone say hey I screwed up, and on top of that offers to help fix the guys involved cars. I think that says a lot about his character and just what kind of respectful driver he is.

As far as the lineups go I think CNS has it right this year. Just be cause you are a rookie in a late model does not mean you dont have the skills to start up front and race. And as far as the fast guys starting up front personally I think that idea sucks I am old school too I want to see the fast guys show why there fast and work there way up from the back. How many great races have been that way in the past, does no one remember the Pepsi Challenge some of the best racing I have ever seen the fastest guy starts in the back. I rememeber watching Jerry Robertson start from the back and come to the front to win what I believe was $75,000(dont quote me on that) That was the best race I have ever seen and where did the fastest guy start the BACK!!!! Give it up people you all just want someone to blame, its racing bad stuff happens, if you want blame anyone blame that damn Full Moon! and not only a full moon the biggest full moon in history.

Hurricane John Negri
Pro Truck #8
HurricaneRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #101
RACHEL2602
Hall of Fame Member (silver level)

RACHEL2602 is on a distinguished roadRACHEL2602 is on a distinguished roadRACHEL2602 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to RACHEL2602
I do not agree with running the fast guys in the back…

The benefit to having qualifying back in 2012, was to distinguish the fast cars amongst the slow cars.

It’s an incentive to qualify in the top 10 to make it in the fast heat to get bonus points for placing 1st 2nd and 3rd, which eliminates sand baggers. (If I recall correctly the championship in 2010 was within two points)

After both fast heat and slow heat conquered the invert should be no more than 10 cars (depending on car count) putting the top 8 finishing cars in the fast heat fielding the first 4 rows in the MAIN EVENT!! “And so forth on back be determined by the finishing order of the heats)

My thoughts: Thus far the LM’s have put on an extraordinary show this year, all tight racing and no following the leader like previous years.

The first two nights I believe they followed the inversion rule set in place week #1, I also believe that all Rookies started in the rear *first five races*. Now why this weekend it changed I have no clue. However, if CNS Officials want respect and drivers/team to return every week; I would encourage them to enforce the rules set in place, not consistently change them during the events.

I do commend them for making the changes thus far; I hope they continue to head in the right direction in making this the best short track racing like it once was.

Last edited by RACHEL2602; 05-08-2012 at 10:40 AM.
RACHEL2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #102
webby
Worlds fastest admin

Rachael, only the FAST DASH cars were inverted in the main event Saturday night. Roger Avants and Dominic Ursetta were both FAST DASH cars.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #103
RACHEL2602

RACHEL2602 is on a distinguished roadRACHEL2602 is on a distinguished roadRACHEL2602 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Rachael, only the FAST DASH cars were inverted in the main event Saturday night. Roger Avants and Dominic Ursetta were both FAST DASH cars.
From my understanding: How you qualified was where you start in the Fast Dash/Dash. Is this not true?
Old 05-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #104
webby
Worlds fastest admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACHEL2602 View Post
From my understanding: How you qualified was where you start in the Fast Dash/Dash. Is this not true?
I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'm just sayin' there were no regular DASH cars in front of FAST DASH cars in the main. Hope that helps clear up any confusion.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #105
RACHEL2602

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'm just sayin' there were no regular DASH cars in front of FAST DASH cars in the main. Hope that helps clear up any confusion.
According to Big West and My lapswhich could be wrong)
Qualified:
39 48
31 12
91 7
66 55
6 27
33 08

Fast Dash Start (I'm guessing a four car invert)
12 31
48 39
91 7
66 55
27 33
08 6

Fast Dash Finish
12 48
31 39
7 27
66 91
33 6
55 08 (DNS)

AMain Line Up
27 6
66 31
33 ?
91 48
12 39
55 11

I'm just confused on how the A Main line up got misconstrued that much?
27 Finished 6th Started 1st
6 Finished 10th Started 2nd
66 Finished 7th Started 3rd
31 Finished 3rd Started 4th

I'm only trying to understand the procedures....

Strange feeling when I have no concept of the line up process...

Last edited by RACHEL2602; 05-08-2012 at 12:40 PM.