Ultra Cool Brake Fans Racing Engines Robertson Racing Speed Shop Race Car Realtor Full Service Transmission Shop Advertise on Big West Racing
Joe Starr Photos Victory Performance Inc Advertise on Big West Racing “Colorado Phillips County Raceway Rat rods for sale “Race

Go Back   Auto Racing Forum | Big West Racing Forum > The Big West Racing Community Forums > Stock Car Racing > Super Stock and Sportsman

Super Stock and Sportsman One step from the top.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
ZDSMotorsports53
Hall of Fame Member (silver level)

ZDSMotorsports53 is on a distinguished roadZDSMotorsports53 is on a distinguished roadZDSMotorsports53 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ZDSMotorsports53
Gearing help

Hey you guys I need some help. I'm planning on running and high banked 1/2 mile dirk track out here in Virginia (Virginia Motor Speedway) and I'm not sure what kind of gears I should run. I don't even know where to start. I have a big heavy '76 Chevelle that will have a dependable but strong 350 and will have to run Hoosier 500's for tires. Any help is appriciated!!!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
~~we'll fight you til hell freezes over, then we'll fight you on the ice!!~~

Aviation Ordnancemen in the worlds greatest navy, the US Navy!!! IYAOYAS!!!
ZDSMotorsports53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
5.0THIS
Hall of Fame Member (gold level)

5.0THIS will become famous soon enough5.0THIS will become famous soon enough5.0THIS will become famous soon enough5.0THIS will become famous soon enough5.0THIS will become famous soon enough5.0THIS will become famous soon enough5.0THIS will become famous soon enough5.0THIS will become famous soon enough5.0THIS will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to 5.0THIS
Kind of depends on what ratio you'll be running in out of the trans (1:1?), and what kind of rpms you want to be turning.

Former CNS Sportsman 24
5.0THIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:36 AM   #3
ZDSMotorsports53

ZDSMotorsports53 is on a distinguished roadZDSMotorsports53 is on a distinguished roadZDSMotorsports53 is on a distinguished road
I've got a powerglide in the car and I think second gear is 1:1 but I could be wrong.. I'm building the motor so that I know it'll hold together rather than trying to get as many ponies as I can. As far as RPMs I don't know what a street stock/econo runs on a half mile track so I guess im looking for a ballpark number lol

Old 04-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
5.0THIS
Hall of Fame Member (gold level)

5.0THIS will become famous soon enough5.0THIS will become famous soon enough5.0THIS will become famous soon enough5.0THIS will become famous soon enough5.0THIS will become famous soon enough5.0THIS will become famous soon enough5.0THIS will become famous soon enough5.0THIS will become famous soon enough5.0THIS will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to 5.0THIS
Well you probably dont want to go over 5500-6000rpm on the motor. You can build one to rev higher, but I doubt street stock rules are going to allow for a motor that makes power much higher than that. I would just be taking a shot in the dark on a gear, but I'd think somewhere in the 4.11-4.56 range.

Former CNS Sportsman 24
5.0THIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
ZDSMotorsports53

Ok cool I've got 4.11's in it now so we'll see how it does whenever I get the motor done. Thanks for the advice!

Old 04-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
Sluss
Bar Stool Racing Veteran

Sluss will become famous soon enoughSluss will become famous soon enoughSluss will become famous soon enoughSluss will become famous soon enoughSluss will become famous soon enoughSluss will become famous soon enoughSluss will become famous soon enough
It's been a while since I was in that area but you might want to take a trip over to Newport News and stop in to a junkyard at 47th and Jefferson. If it is still under the same ownership those guy did a lot of racing and still might. They will have all the information you are looking for and then some that they may or may not tell you. I went with them up to Saluda raceway for a race. Looking at Youtube it looks like they have only improved the speedway. These guys out here only wish they had a track like that to race at. Enjoy and good luck.
Sluss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
ZDSMotorsports53

Ok I'll look for that place. The racetrack is the nicest dirt track I've ever been too. I'm excited to get back on the track and get my hands dirty. I can't thank you guys enough for your help